As the owner or manager of a commercial property, you spend a significant amount of time keeping the building well maintained and in good repair. The roof is one building component that deserves extra time and attention, even though it only represents approximately 5% of the building’s value. Why? Because this single structural component safeguards about 95% of the entire asset, so its condition directly affects virtually all of the building systems.
You can better protect the roof and the building beneath it by employing these three smart tactics:
Adopt a Proactive Approach
Most aspects of property maintenance and repairs can be handled by your own staff on a regular timetable or in reaction to damage. Adopting this strategy with the roof system can lead to costly problems in the future for two reasons:
- Maintaining and repairing commercial roofing in Bergen County takes specialized training and skills.
- There are a lot of variables that can affect the health of your roof, including installation quality, lack of adequate maintenance, flawed repairs, rooftop foot traffic, premature wear and tear from UV radiation and exposure to our seasonal weather extremes.
Instead of using the predictable or reactive methods that work for other building systems, it’s more effective to take care of your roof proactively, based on its current condition.
Monitor the Roof Regularly
In order to implement a proactive strategy for your roof, you need to stay up-to-date on what’s going on up on top of the building. The best way to establish a baseline and monitor the roof’s condition going forward is to have a knowledgeable roofing contractor inspect the roof each spring and fall, and after any major weather event. These inspection reports will provide a wealth of valuable information about the overall condition of your roof, and its maintenance and repair needs.
Prioritize Maintenance, Restoration and Repairs
Using the data and details in each inspection report, you can work with your roofer to:
- Tackle critical repair issues that need immediate attention
- Develop preservation and restoration strategies
- Plan routine roof maintenance
- Budget for other repairs and a future replacement
By prioritizing roof-related actions on a continuous basis you’ll not only extend the asset’s useful lifespan, but you’ll also avoid unnecessary repair costs, preserve your warranty and protect the building and its contents from damage.
When you need expert commercial roofing services in Bergen County, contact us at Vanguard Roofing.